Sunday, October 28, 2012

A few things I've been loving lately

I must say I'm not overly sure of the etiquette involved in using other people's photos to link to their stuff even if you're not hotlinking. It means people are able to see if they like something but I don't like to use other people's photos without asking. Anyone know what is the best thing to do?

For now I wont use photos that don't belong to me.

* http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/boys-knits/patterns
This book of knitting patterns for boys by Katya Frankel is fantastic. It's full of gorgeous and interesting jumpers/sweaters for boys. So many times the knits you can find for boys are really basic. These patterns are full of great textures and really caught my eye. I want versions of these in my size.


"With sixteen sweater patterns for boys aged 4-14 (with chest measurements of 23-34 inches) and the cutest photography you have ever seen, Katya Frankel’s new book Boy’s Knits from Cooperative Press is the answer to your knitting prayers if you want to knit for boys."

Soft Sage Circle Jacket by Doris Chan is a gorgeous crochet cardigan. I love the frilly neck line and the wonderful bell sleeves. It's also a style that looks good on quite a few different body types. 
That's actually one of my favourite things about Ravelry, the fact that you can see, by looking at the projects tab, what the item looks like in different yarns and on different body shapes.

Woollywormhead's 5th annual mystery hat knit-a-long. I'm really interested in taking part this year. I'm just trying to decide if I can afford it. It starts on the 1st November.

The Illustration Stitch-a-long is a new Flickr group centered on embroidery based on existing illustrations and art. The first stitch-a-long starts in January next year and the subject is the work of Edward Gorey. After that will be Tim Burton. I can't wait. 
Most of my embroidery to date hasn't been based on a pattern or existing drawing. I've just made it up as I go along. The two most recent I finished were a bit different. One was based on a photo of a local building and the other was of a sketch someone did specifically for me to embroider. It was actually quite different working from someone else's art.

* http://www.urbanthreads.com/threadList.aspx?productid=UT5310
This Pirate Stack Machine Embroidery at Urban Threads is really cute

* http://www.urbanthreads.com/free.aspx
And this gorgeous French Bulldog with the saying "You say GEEK like it's a bad thing" is also awesome and free.

I have quite a few things on etsy and other blogs that I will link to as well but I shall put them in a separate post. I pulled something in my back and sublaxed my shoulder today moving wood for the fire so typing isn't comfortable.

Have some more photos of Hill End for now.

lilac
Lilac growing in the orchard next to Holterman's Corner

Beyer's Avenue, Hill End
Beyer's Avenue. I love the view on the road out of town. The trees were planed in the 1800s. I've not lived in a place in Australia that has as many deciduous trees as we do out here. Natives don't drop their leaves. It makes Autumn very pretty.

IMG_7048
Red clay and gums. This is mostly what you get here once you move out of the centre of the village. Not many wattles are flowering right now but you usually get a lot of those too.

IMG_7044
More bush. It surprised me that the Eucalypts were so different to what we got on the coast. I don't know why I was surprised. Makes sense. The temperature range is vastly different.


No comments:

Post a Comment